Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Can You Help?


This is a good casue to get into for the holiday season...this will be my good deed...to share this with you and to do some myself



Dear quilting friends,

You may be aware that New Zealand has suffered a major mining disaster at Pike River mine on the west coast of the South Island, resulting in the deaths of 29 miners. Many of these miners had young families. One was soon to be a father. Like many New Zealanders, I am sharing the pain of the families of the miners. And like many, I have thought about what I could do to help.

I am part of Kiwiquilters, an email group for New Zealand quilters. We have a tradition, as do other quilting groups, of making Healing Hearts quilts for members and their families or friends who are suffering personal tragedy or serious illness. I have asked the group, and other quilting groups around the country, to contribute heart blocks to make into quilts for the miner’s families, and I will assemble and co-ordinate these.

Please consider making a block or several blocks for this cause. It doesn't matter that you don't know the people involved - neither do I. The love and support from strangers that is embodied in these quilts is something tangible that the families can get comfort from for years.

Here are the block details if you want to make some:-


- - Cream background – calico is fine
- - 6 ½” unfinished size (so they will be 6” finished)

- - Pieced or appliquéd heart or hearts
- - Any colours or patterns for the hearts. Some of the quilts will be for children, so children’s fabrics are fine too.
Please send to me at the address below. Thank you so much.
Shirley Goodwin

51 Charles St
Rangiora 7400
New Zealand


Happy Holidays and please join something charitable this year.

DeeDee

No comments: